Gone Girl: A Novel

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn When golden girl Amy Dunne disappears, the trail of suspicion seems to lead directly to her secretive husband Nick, who tries desperately to prove his own innocence and puzzle out what really happened to his wife.I suppose those questions stormcloud over every marriage: What are you thinking? How are you feeling? Who are you? What have we done to each other? What will we do? I’ve been hearing hype about this book for quite awhile, and picked it up not honestly expecting to succumb to the up-too-late-because-I-can’t-put-it-down claims people were making, but I did. The book starts with a good-marriage-gone-bad story with prose and a mood that reminded me of one of favorite books, Fitzgerald’s The Beautiful and the Damned. As secrets are revealed, my whodunnit opinion changed about half a dozen times, and even I wasn’t quite prepared for the psychological twist in part two.This book does contain some rather smug, selfish, self-destructive, and, well, sociopathic characters, and with the first-person perspective, the reader bears the full brunt of this. I can understand, on the basis of this alone, why some people REALLY did not like this book. I also don’t know that I was entirely satisfied with the ending; I don’t know what I wanted to happen, but after the back and forth insanity of the rest of the book, the resolution seemed a bit… blase and out of character.Heads up: Parts of the book include references to and descriptions of murder, violence, domestic abuse, infidelity, kidnapping, sexual encounters and crudeness, rape, drunkenness, drug use, lying, manipulation, blackmail, cursing, swearing, and crude language.Overall: A psychological thriller that just keeps getting more and more insane and twisted as the book progresses.