Crewel

Crewel - "I erase and rebuild the world in my sleep, and in the morning I try to remember how to rebuild myself.  Every day I wonder how I can go back to the loom.  Can I keep weaving now that I know?  ...That doesn't change anything.  I'm still a Spinster."Adelice lives in Arras, a world spun together and meticulously maintained through the work of Spinsters, women with talents to weave together time, space, and life itself.  When her abilities are discovered, her parents try to help her escape, failing at their attempt and putting her in even more danger as she begins her new life in the Coventry of Spinsters, where she is singled out by a number of others who may or may not have her best interests, or those of Arras, in mind.I really wanted to like this book.  Some of the writing was really good, pulling in my interest and really creating a picture in my mind.  The idea of a Matrix-like world spun together out of the ashes of Earth that would allow an elite group complete control over everything from the weather to when people die seemed really intriguing to me, especially when the main character is reluctantly thrown to the top of that elite group and expected to make these decisions that will impact the entire world.  I wanted to find out more about the world in which these people lived, what the Spinsters did, and how they could manipulate the world with their looms and what consequences that might have, as well as the balance between free will and the people's "spun" lives.That was not, however, what I found in this book.  Throughout the novel, the time spent on actual weaving and shaping the world around her is very small.  The focus really seems to be more on the political pressures around Adelice, how taxing it is to be continuously primped and elegantly dressed, and dealing with the romantic advances of three men (even though Spinsters are supposed to be chaste, all of the men that are in the novel are in love with Adelice).  At the very end, the action does pick up and we're able to see a bit of what Adelice can actually do with her weaving abilities, but it was slow getting there.  Adelice herself irritated me with her sarcastic, sharp tongue.  She seemed not to think before she did anything, and passively just let herself be manipulated by the plots taking shape around her.  She was moody and jealous and it's still not really apparent to me what her motivation is in all of this, aside from making sure her sister stays safe.Perhaps it's because it's the first book in the series, and maybe some of these things will make more sense in following novels, but there were a few plot points that I simple didn't "get."  For instance...(- Why does it matter that Erik and Jost are brothers, aside from making the whole love triangle thing even MORE awkward than it already was?  I assume we're supposed to infer that one (or both?) were rewoven, but Adelice's conclusion seemed like a rather farfetched jump anyways, based solely on the facts that they have blue eyes, they lived in fishing villages, and they kiss the same?  Huh?  Really?  Not that I've ever kissed brothers, but I wouldn't imagine that would be a hereditary trait.- Why was Adelice brought to the Coventry and then for the next weeks (months?) given absolutely NOTHING to do?  Someone obviously knew of her skills, so why waste time throwing her in the jail cell, putting her in with the other trainees, sending her on one outing with Cormac, and then leaving her to her own devices for what seemed like a really long time?  The Powers That Be seemed to be lacking in foresight and planning.- The concept of the Creweler was really hard for me to grasp.  I got by with knowing the basics -- that there had to be one, that she was (supposedly?) the most important and highest in the hierarchy, but what she actually does was kind of lost on me.- Pryana just baffled me.  I didn't understand if we were supposed to like her or hate or feel sorry for her or what.  I didn't understand why she blamed Adelice for what Maela did; it seemed pretty obvious what was going on.)Overall:  A YA dystopian that could have been great if more time had been spent on the plot and sci-fi aspects than on the teenage angst and love triangles.