The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies Series #2)

The Power of Six - Pittacus Lore There movement on the roof. Between fissures of rising flames, I see a huge Mogadorian scout in the black trench coat, hat, and sunglasses marching down the decline, his feet siking in to the soft tiles with every step. He carries a long gleaming sword.Numbers Four and Six are on the run from evil Mogadorians as well as the United States FBI, fighting and running, and all the while trying to solve the mysteries found within John (Four)'s Chest which he brought with from their home planet Lorien. Meanwhile, in Spain, number Seven, known as Mariana, has been raised in a convent orphanage, and as strange things start happening in their secluded village, she tries to convince her Cepan to continue her training and go out in search of the other Garde.This sequel is certainly full of surprises, and not all are good. First, there's "Surprise! My name is Mariana and I'm number Seven!" followed by a myriad of surprise attacks, a surprise betrayal, surprise love triangles (yup, multiple ones), and the surprise reveals of more Loriens. Between these surprises and jam-packed action scenes every time someone caught up to the 4+6+Sam team, the plot moved at a quick pace. The chapters switched back and forth between Four's story and Seven's story, which would have been fine, great even, if they weren't both told in the same first-person narrative style. It'd often be well onto the second page before I could figure out who was narrating, such was the lack of variation in the voice of the characters. And speaking of characters... I'm really growing to dislike Four. He once again has an example of unnecessary cruelty towards humans -- "I refuse to listen to [Six]. I'm blind to anything other than retribution, and I don't feel a shred of remorse as I slam the Taser into the officer's gut and hold it there for a full two seconds." This is supposed to be the hero? Taking out his frustrations on an average Joe cop who's just trying to do his job? Throughout this book, I gained more admiration for Six... until she started messing with Four's and Sam's affections. Maybe it's just me, but if I were running for my life and training to fight a superior (are they really? or just better equipped?) alien race, I'd probably try to put my love life on the back burner and focus on, you know, not getting killed. Sam still held my respect, but Seven seems totally naive and Sarah... oh where do I even start with how much I don't like her? The author keeps introducing more new characters, but it ends up leaving the reader feeling a bit disconnected from all of them.Overall, I didn't like this book as much as the first one. There was so much fight-and-flight that the plot seemed kind of lost and some of the "surprises" seemed far-fetched and kind of ridiculous. I'm hoping the next one (coming out this month!) will be better.