Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption - Laura Hillenbrand NOTE: I abandoned this book about 1/4 of the way throughIn a childhood of artful dodging, Louie made more than just mischief. He shaped who he would be in manhood. Confident that he was clever, resourceful, and bold enough to escape any predicament, he was almost incapable of discouragement. When history carried him into war, this resilient optimism would define him.This is the biography of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner who later entered into WWII and survived a harrowing time as a prisoner of war. The first section recounts his childhood and his experience at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, the second part his time in war, the third his experience being lost at sea, the fourth his time as a POW, and the final section recounts his life after.From what I read, it's obvious that Zamperini had a fascinating and unusual life. The things that he accomplished undoubtedly earn him respect and admiration, and this book is a very well-researched testament to those deeds.It was NOT, however, one that I enjoyed reading. I found the writing style dull, and felt like I was reading a research report rather than an exciting narrative of this man's life. There was very little dialogue or quotes from Zamperini himself, so it felt detached, and although it told what he did, I didn't feel like I understood any better who he was.Overall: Perhaps die-hard WWII buffs would love this biography, but to me, it lacked character.