Fateful

Fateful - Claudia Gray This YA paranormal historical fiction romance novel is what "Twilight" should have been. It's the story of a servant girl with her employers aboard the Titanic where she finds herself rescued by a handsome young gentleman with a dark secret that puts them all in danger.With the same elements as the most popular paranormal romance novels -- werewolves, secret societies, a mortal heroine who falls in love with a "monster," etc -- this one was devoid of all of the teenage angst, love triangles, and ridiculous-sounding dialogue that its more popular predecessors had. The heroine in this one is independent, brave, and selfless. The hero is somewhat more typical -- cursed, not wanting to endanger anyone, and ultimately willing to sacrifice himself for his love interest. The best thing about this book, though, was that with a real villain after them and the setting being on the Titanic, there was more plot than merely just, "No, I shouldn't be with you because I'm dangerous; okay, I guess we can be together."This type of book is generally not my cup of tea (thus the three stars) but for those that enjoy this genre, this is the best I've seen of its type.