The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies Series #3) (B&N Exclusive Edition)

The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies Series #3) (B&N Exclusive Edition) - "Tell me where they are!" Setrakus Ra roars. He pulls the chain tighter around my throat..."It's too late," I whisper as bravely as I can. "We're too strong now and we're coming for you. Lorien will live again and we will stop you."Told from the perspectives of Four (John), Six, and Seven (Marina), this third book of the Lorien Legacies series continues the adventure of the seven remaining Lorien Garde as they try to band together and form a plan to defeat the evil Mogodorians whom they now find are working with the US Government. With Four (John) and Nine on the run in the United States; Seven, Eight, and Ten teleporting from place to place trying to find the others; and Six separated from the others in a secret government bunker in New Mexico, the leader of the Mogodorians, Setrakus Ra, taunts them and dares them to confront him to rescue their human friends.This third book (of seven, the rumor goes) was full of action, danger, and epic fight scenes throughout. We also were able to learn a bit more about the Loriens and some more of their truly awesome legacies. More is also revealed about the Mogodorians and their leader (which would have been good to know BEFORE they confronted him... kind of dropped the ball on that one, Cepans!) In all, it ends up playing out a bit more like an episode of the TV show Heroes than a regular novel with a complete story arc, which isn't a bad thing, just different.The author did REALLY play up the fight scenes, and whereas it was neat to see the Loriens use their legacies, it got to be rather predictable -- "Hey, we just discovered something cool about ourselves/our Chests/the Mogodorians" followed immediately by "Hey, we're being ambushed!" and repeat. There was less character-building than in the previous books, and some of the fight scenes ended up a bit cheesy, especially the ones involving Four and Eight, who seem to like to banter while they fight.Overall: A fast-paced, high-action continuation of the series, but not really impressive on its own.