Towering

Towering - When Wyatt goes to live in the Adirondacks with an old woman that used to know his mother, he stumbles upon a series of mysterious disappearances and discovers a girl who’s been locked in a tower since she was a small child.I was like that, too, in my own tower, a tower of the mind, enchanted and unreal. Would I be as brave as her, given the opportunity? Could I save her as she had saved me?What I liked?-Having a modern girl trapped in a tower with classic literature as her only exposure to the world was kind of a neat concept.-There were also some gothic/mysterious atmospheric elements in the first few chapters that kept me reading, wondering about the mystery.What I didn’t like?-Insta-love, including saying “I love you” after knowing each other for two days. Cheesy, cheesy, cheesy!-Magical drugs. And an “enchanted drug ring.” Just a little too weird for me.-Prophecies and visions from ghosts that drive the plot. These people must be really superstitious to let these “magical” elements drive so many of their decisions.-Irksome little continuity issues. For instance, a girl who only has been exposed to classical literature and doesn’t even use contractions in her speech refers to a boy as “hot”? Don’t think she learned that one from Jane Austen.-Multiple 1st person POV. It can be done well, but I’ve found I really don’t prefer it. The scenes that they were experiencing together were most problematic, as I’d tend to forget whose POV I was reading. Alternating 3rd person limited would have been less confusing.Overall: Modern-day Rapunzel that still relied very heavily on magic, leaving it feeling unrealistic and a bit cheesy.