The Obsidian Blade (Klaatu Diskos Series #1)

The Obsidian Blade - Pete Hautman This YA sci-fi novel tells the story of Tucker, a teenage boy who, in an attempt to rescue his parents, travels through time and space via futuristic diskos. In his journeys, he travels to the future and the past as he tries to follow his parents' footsteps and discover their fate.This book started with a lot of buildup. Time and again, the chapter ended in what I expected to be a major turning point, but turned out only to be a continuation of the same building action. When the story finally did pick up, I found the narration frustrating. Everyone seemed to know what was going on except Tucker (and therefore except the reader). Scenes were painstakingly described, and only later did Tucker (and the reader) find out that they were actually somewhere familiar -- the top of the World Trade Center towers, for instance. As Tucker hopped from diskos to diskos, the scenes all skipped quickly by without Tucker (or the reader) really understanding where he was or what was going on. At the time it all seemed kind of pointless, as the story didn't really progress beyond telling us that he visited a bunch of different places. From plodding to pointless, the story finally moved into the end, which was simply bizarre and pretty much sacrilegious. Perhaps others may find more redeeming qualities in this story, or perhaps information revealed in the rest of the series would cause this one to make more sense, but I don't plan on reading more to try to find out.