The Time Keeper

The Time Keeper - Mitch Albom "Soon man will count all his days, and then smaller segments of the day, and then smaller still -- until the counting consumes him, and the wonder of the world he has been given is lost."Dor, the first man to count time and measure hours and minutes, is sometimes known as Father Time. When he seeks the power to stop time and prevent his wife's death, he finds himself in exile in a cave, tormented by all of the pleas and prayers of people wanting changes in time -- more time, less time, for time to go faster or slower... until finally he reaches modern times and is given the task of helping two people -- an elderly man dying of cancer, and a teenage girl ready to shorten her life -- understand the importance and preciousness of the time they've been given.Though looking back, the story was not nearly as action-filled and story-driven as I might have liked, it held my attention and kept me wondering what was going to happen to the very realistic, relate-able characters. Some of the plot was perhaps a bit cliche, reminiscent of "It's a Wonderful Life," but not overly sappy. I did wonder, though, at the epilogue, and whether Sarah had found someone to give her the love she so desired. I also thought it'd have been appropriate if she had gone on to do something notable to help the homeless, or to counsel teenagers contemplating suicide; the glimpse we got of her in the future seemed too brief and truncated, telling us of her professional career, but nothing of her personal growth.This narrative is simple and sweet, braiding together the three story lines of Dor, Victor, and Sarah and their individual quests to control time. The parallelism of their stories speaks to the universality of their pursuit and the end result -- recognizing that the time we are given on earth is precious, not to be wasted -- is one that we all could learn from. I expect to see this book become a favorite for sentimental book club-goers, young and old alike, as there's much to discuss with the topics and themes the author introduces. Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a review copy of this novel!