The Business of Baby: What Doctors Don't Tell You, What Corporations Try to Sell You, and How to Put Your Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Before Their Bottom Line - Jennifer Margulis An investigative journalist’s approach to exploring the monetary motivations behind how American obstetricians and pediatrics practice medicine.Are the high maternal and infant death rates in America really isolated events, or are they mounting evidence that something in our country is going terribly wrong?Prenatal care. Ultrasounds. Childbirth. C-sections. Circumcision. Formula. Diapers. Vaccines. Well-Baby care.Each of these issues can be controversial, and each can translate into many dollar signs for those that practice and produce the things that American babies ‘need.’ Each of these issues could (and have been) covered in depth by other researchers, but this one stands out in that it focuses on the correlations between our hospitals and doctors’ decisions and what’s going into their pockets.I appreciated the depth of research that went into this book, and although I don’t necessarily agree with all of the author’s conclusions, I do appreciate the way that the book encourages parents to make informed decisions.In reading this book, I found that I am personally not a big fan of the investigative journalistic style of reporting. I don’t care what the experts are wearing or what tea they’re sipping or whether the author caught up with them while they were on their daily jog; I really don’t. I’m much more concerned with their credentials, the research they’ve done, and how they came to their conclusions. A lot of the stories portrayed a worst-case scenario incidence that I worry might just promote fear and distrust, rather than a need to research all the options.Overall: This mouthful of a title delivers a slew of information about how the almighty dollar influences the decisions doctors make about your baby.