If I Stay - Gayle Forman When a car accident causes Mia to lose her entire family and puts her in a coma, her consciousness, looking on upon the scene, must decide whether to stay or go with them.This morning I went for a drive with my family. And now I am here, as alone as I’ve ever been. I am seventeen years old. This is not how it’s supposed to be. This is not how my life is supposed to turn out.This book has been on my to-read list for a long time. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it, and finally I got the ebook copy from the library, ready to delve into it.Parts of this book were incredibly well-written. I liked the characters’ relationships with one another; they felt like a real (albeit somewhat strange) family who really cared about and understood one another. There were definitely some heartstring-tug moments, especially in regards to her little brother Teddy, who was probably my favorite character of all. I could appreciate her conflict, being the one who had to choose between living in a world without her family or letting go and moving on.However… for a book that deals with such profound issues, it seemed kind of… light. So much was dealt with in flashback format that looked back on what a wonderful (yet in some ways ridiculously ordinary) life she had that it seemed to detract from the serious situation at hand. Her boyfriend tries to break into the ICU, a stunt which is supposed to be romantic but just ends up feeling awkward and immature. The resolution seemed random, and came out of nowhere — I couldn’t connect her final choice with any compelling reason, it just seemed to sort of happen.Heads up, there’s also sex, drugs (well, teenage drinking), and rock n roll in this novel, all which Mia’s parents seem a-okay with.