Designed for Devotion: A 365-Day Journey from Genesis to Revelation - Dianne Neal Matthews This year-long devotion book walks the readers through the entire Bible, focusing on what God has told us in His Word and what it means to us today.If we prize God’s wisdom enough to ask for it, then, like Solomon, we’ll discover that it’s a gift that brings other blessings with it.This daily devotional was free on B&N.com in the weeks preceding the new year, and I’m very glad I picked it up. It contains exactly what I look for in daily devotions: a focus on scripture, readable portions for each day, and connections to daily life that can serve as my focus for the day.The neat thing about this devotion book is that it provides a “cliffnotes” version of the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation, with one day devoted to each of the sixty-six books themselves, and the rest of the days made up of essential chapters of Scripture. Presented in Biblical order, January’s devotions barely make it past Genesis, and the New Testament isn’t reached until August.Doctrinally, this devotion does an excellent job of sticking with what is written and focusing the reader on the main message found in each chapter or portion of scriptures. In places where there are interpretational differences between denominations (for instance, in regard to End Times in the book of Revelation), the author generally adds disclaimers such as “Scholars disagree about the timing and interpretation of these events,” and — instead of trying to dispute one side or the other — sticks to what is the clear message (in that case, the fact that Satan is always working against Christians, but that Christ is the one that triumphs).Overall: The manageable size of its daily readings make this an excellent devotion book for Christians who want to work their way through the Bible but feel overwhelmed by the task.