The Intruders - Olive Peart Six kids from the Bronx get swept forward in time through a mysterious tunnel and find themselves trapped in a dystopian future in which rapidly-aging human beings are the norm and others like themselves are considered Abnorms. The prejudices caused by these differences create a full-scale war between the Aborm village in the Bronx and the Trumen city of Manhattan, and the time travelers find themselves caught in the middle, unable to return home.This book simply wasn't my cup of tea... but, it had a lot of potential. I'm a huge fan of time travel novels, and the dystopian future world in which today's "normal" kids are considered abnormal is an interesting twist. A number of factors, though, prevented me from really enjoying this YA novel.First off, there were some aspects of the writing style that did not appeal to me at all. "Shirts!" This was the phrase that the characters used when they wanted to curse. "Dog!" was another alternate phrase used. While I appreciate the lack of actual swearing, the use of these pseudo-swear words sounded a little absurd, particularly for a group of teens from the Bronx. In fact, it took me awhile to realize that these kids were supposed to be city kids at all. When the teens later come upon the people from the future society, they find that they have different speech patterns, not too surprising since this was supposed to be hundreds of years in the future. The speech patterns, though, made it difficult to read their dialogue, since they'd replace any "not" with simply "no," use very simple words and phrases, and change the order of some of their words, making them sound a bit like Yoda. I'd often have to read their sentences twice or three times to figure out what it was they were saying.Perhaps it was because there were essentially six main characters, but I had a hard time keeping track of who was who. Aside from Hamid, who was supposed to be the main protagonist, the other time travel kids just kind of blended together for me. I know they were supposed to be representative of different races, but frankly, I couldn't keep straight who was related to who or dating who, much less recall their physical attributes or personalities. The author went into detailed descriptions of their hair, skin, and family lives, but the way this information was presented made it rather forgettable. The characters seemed to do things all together as a group, or break out by gender, and there really wasn't a lot to distinguish one character from another. Even their ages seemed to kind of confuse me, as they seemed to act younger than the ages they were supposed to be, yet they're taking on responsibilities and roles that far surpass their ages.It was obvious that the author was trying to make some sort of statement about race and discrimination, but I don't think that the lesson came across strong enough. The six time travelers are from various races, and at one point they have a discussion about the use of derogatory names for different races. Later, they note that the new society doesn't have as much differentiation between races -- everyone seems to have mixed attributes -- but the story never really works around to what the point of bringing all of this up is. The same holds true with their family issues; they're discussed between the members of the group, but then nothing comes of it.In fact, I'm not entirely sure what the point of the book was. There was very little backstory given for any of the characters, and the ending seemed incredibly abrupt. I was still left with about a dozen questions and there were quite a few things that just simply didn't make sense. Each of the time travelers paired off with romantic interests, but there was little to no development of these relationships. Even with the battle they fought, nothing was really resolved at the end of their fight. Was this supposed to be the first book in a series? I was left hanging, and felt rather let down by the ending.Thanks to the publisher for providing me a review copy of this novel!