Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs What a surprisingly good book!I was a bit skeptical when I started it, but had been intrigued when I read a review stating how the author used real, old-time vintage photographs to weave the story of some very 'peculiar' children living in an orphanage on a small island. I love photography, so thought it might be worth a shot.I spent the first half of the book trying to figure out what was real and what was not, if this book was supposed to be a suspense/thriller, a more serious coming-of-age drama where a boy faces his childhood fears, or an actual sci-fi/fantasy novel. I won't give away which it turns out to be! Throughout the book, the author does a great job of creating the atmosphere of the island, in particular. Even the ending was not quite what I thought it would be, but actually MORE interesting than any of the endings I had imagined in my head.I'd recommend this book for anyone that likes a little mystery, a little suspense, a little horror/thriller, and for photography fans like myself.