Yesterday's Sun - Amanda Brooke When Holly and Tom buy a house in the country, they also acquire a strange moon dial, with the ability to harness the power of the full moon and reveal the future, a future which shows Holly her death in childbirth and presents to her the choice of her life or her child’s.Now I know what Charles Hardmonton must have known on his deathbed. We are not meant to meddle with destiny. It is too heavy a burden for any man, to have the ability to see into the future and then to accept that the path we take is not all of our own choosing.I’m a huge fan of time travel stories, so the strange moon dial that reveals the future piqued my interest.I enjoyed the “time travel” aspect, and the fact that the characters could change that future — though with restrictions! — kept me intrigued. The moondial itself, its intricacies, and the stories (two backstories and Holly’s story) that it shaped were what fascinated me. This book is strongly emotional, and really works to pull the reader’s heartstrings.Unfortunately, I didn’t buy the Holly/Tom relationship, which is a shame, since it should be one of the most important relationships in the story. But Tom was gone pretty much through the whole story, and when he was there, they were either talking about his job or enjoying marital intimacy (seriously… like every scene they’re together — I know they’re newlyweds, but yeah, we get the point).There was also something about the ending that bothered me [highlight for spoiler]Jocelyn, the grandmotherly neighbor of the story, takes her own life in exchange for Holly’s, and apparently the moonstone buys this. But how does Jocelyn’s sacrifice prevent Holly from having an aneurysm?? In the mystical life-for-a-life aspect, it works, but it defies all logic that going into the hospital, Holly would have an aneurysm, but that it’d suddenly disappear when the moonstone ‘accepted’ Jocelyn’s sacrifice. I didn’t think that was at all how the moonstone worked — it would have made more sense if Jocelyn had somehow forced Holly into getting an MRI (to save her) and then killed herself (as the sacrifice, but[/spoiler] the way it played out made it seem logically that merely looking into the moonstone was the catalyst that cost the curious person the life of someone important to him/her, but that implication is kind of a big deal and should have been addressed earlier.Also, to ease the minds of any pregnant women who may read this book and suddenly fear aneurysms: according to the February 2013 issue of Neurosurgery ”For women with aneurysms involving the brain blood vessels, pregnancy and delivery don’t appear to increase the risk of aneurysm rupture” (LINK)