The Lantern: A Novel

The Lantern - Deborah Lawrenson This book promised the suspense and depth of Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca," but failed to live up to it. Not only did I have the twists figured out before the main characters did, but because the story was told from two perspectives (past and present), some of the revelations were repetitive and redundant. The dual narration was rather confusing at times, since the setting was the same for each of the women, so sometimes it wouldn't be until the second or third page of the chapter before the reader is able to determine who it is that's actually speaking. I didn't feel connected to any of the characters -- the two narrators both seemed far too non-confrontational in a way that was pitiable, since it seemed then that the other characters walked all over them. There really wasn't any development of these characters, either. Throughout the first half of the book I kept debating whether to put it down or not, because the story just didn't seem to be going anywhere. I am glad I finished it to find out what happened, but really wish it hadn't dragged on so much.