Letters from Skye: A Novel

Letters from Skye - Jessica Brockmole A story of wartime romances told in letters between a reclusive poet and an American ambulance driver in WWI, interspersed with letters from the poet’s daughter to her own WWII-soldier beau.I should have told you, shouldn’t taught you to steel your heart. Taught you that a letter isn’t always just a letter. Words on the page can drench the soul.Romantic novels are, as a general rule, not really my thing. This one will certainly appeal to fans of Lifetime TV movies or Nicholas Sparks, as it is a tale of love found and lost, grieved over, searched for, and finally found once more. It definitely plays on the emotions, asking the question: how far would you go for love? I did find the idea of a novel written entirely in letters to be somewhat unique, and that’s what captured my attention.I think I would have liked it a lot better had the entire premise not been based around a woman cheating on her husband. If she had been single, I might have believed the love story more readily, but even from the very early letters, Elspeth is flirtatious in a way that was disrespectful of her current marriage, leading David on in a way that made me sympathize more with her poor, unloved husband than with the flowery-prosed romantics.